Ludo: A Music-Themed Board Game

I created a variation of a classic board game themed around music and the instrument families to use in my classroom. Ludo, Sorry, Parcheesi, etc are all basically the same game that we’ve all played in one form or another. They’re easy to learn, fun to play. This printable game is perfect for music centers, reward time, or sub plans.

Download Materials Here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/A-Musical-Board-Game-Instrument-Families-7284518

I love board games as a hobby, and if I can be honest I’ve always had a fantasy of being a game designer. Instead, I spend hours every week designing lessons. However, sometimes (when I’m lucky) the stars align and they overlap. I’ve definitely used games in the classroom before, and my Note Cards (a musical Uno) was a huge hit! This board game isn’t anything groundbreaking, but it is extremely easy to learn and fun to play. We’ve all played some variant of this classic game; Ludo, Parcheesi, Sorry, etc. The goal of the game is to move your pieces around the board and return them to home/base/center etc. There are four colors, you roll dice, pick a card etc. As I said earlier, easy to learn & fun to play.

This version just adds a music theme to the game in the form of instrument families. Each of the four colors is represented by a family, and each family has four instruments in to (16 total) for your students to learn. It’s just an easy way to instill some passive learning in your classroom and reinforce some basic music knowledge. Learning about and sorting instruments CAN be fun (I have a whole unit on it here) but usually isn’t. However, even just by playing a game students are constantly exposed to the names of the families and can make associations of where the instruments belong. (Plus the cute art really helps)

I also used the art to make an accompanying instrument sorting worksheet, and you could easily have students design their own game pieces, which will really help with learning the concept. I plan on using this primarily for independent learning centers, music centers, reward time, a substitute teacher, or just sticking in a “sub tub” to be used later. It’s a great resource to have in my back pocket and one that I think the students will really enjoy, and I hope you will too!

activitiesfungames in the classroomgamificationgamify learninginstrument familiesmusic centerssub planssub tubsubstitute teacher

Frank Cademartori • October 3, 2021

Previous Post

Next Post