FREE LESSON: Winter Bingo

The cold north wind blows, bringing with it shivering chills, snow, and the faint sound of jingle bells. This Listening Bingo activity puts your students’ ears to the test as they listen to the world around them while learning about the season. Great for grades K-2nd, it has students discussing the Winter sounds they hear in their lives and then listening for them using 4 different tic-tac-toe bingo board.

pagebreak

FREE LESSON MATERIALS: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-LESSON-Winter-Bingo-2902759

Winter is Coming…

screen-shot-2016-11-30-at-2-19-30-pm   It’s December 1st, and while I know it’s not “technically” winter, it sure feels like it here in Chicago. I love talking about seasons with my young grades because they’re just so fascinated by the world around them. Winter can be tough to get outside and while sounds aren’t a readily available as in Spring or Summer, they still love this listening Bingo game!

I’ve done games like this for every season now, and would be remiss if I didn’t include what, according to my latest class vote/bar graph, is everyone’s favorite season. (Take that with a grain of salt, because what season we’re currently in usually wins). I’m actually not using this activity in my class now, as we’re preparing for our Winter Concert, but I will as soon as we return from break. I like to use it as an introduction to a “Snow Sounds” lesson on ontonmontapia and improvisation. 

screen-shot-2016-11-30-at-1-44-16-pmHow to use it:

I almost always do these as whole class discussions and then activities, but I’ve had a few grades that just can’t handle that type of “responsibility.” So I’ve also suggested using this activity as a small group or independent center. With an old .mp3 player or class computer, attach a headphone splitter and then use the longer audio files (included) to allow the kids to play the game themselves. I’m a music teacher, but I’ve had people tell me they use these games in Science class all the time, and I can totally see it! If you’re using your senses to learn about the natural world around you, I think listening for these sounds is a big part! Either way it’s a great way to get your class excited for winter, without bringing in Santa Claus and Christmas. I hope you enjoy the free activity and share with me any creative ways you use it!

permalink: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-LESSON-Winter-Bingo-2902759
arts integrationbingo gameelementary lessonsfreefree lessonFree Lessonslistening centermusicmusic integrationnaturesciencescience centersseasonSeasonstic tac toe bingotptwinterwinter bingowinter lotto game

Frank Cademartori • December 1, 2016

Previous Post

Next Post